You can't. The best way to use an embedded font with only certain outlines included in the embedding is to create a dummy (i.e. 'invisible') dynamic textfield, and in the property inspector select the outlines you want embedded. That way you don't have to create a linked font symbol, you just refer to the font by name, because it's already been embedded in that hidden textfield.

The tricky part is that you'll need to have a separate textfield for normal, bold and italics, just like you would if you were creating font symbols, to make sure normal, bold and italics will all show up properly in your formatted textfield.

Hope that helps,

Joseph

Joseph Balderson, Flash Platform Developer
http://www.joeflash.ca | 416-768-0987
Writing partner, Community MX | http://www.communitymx.com
Consultant, New Toronto Group | http://www.newyyz.com

Lieven Cardoen wrote:
FlashCoders,
If in ActionScript(2.0) I set the EmbedFonts property from a textField to true,
I need to put the Font in the library with correct Export Linkage. Right?

But how can I make sure that special characters are embedded? I mean, if you select a textField on stage, you can embed the font + select which characters should be embedded. In the library this is not possible. As a result a French character like Πis not displayed.
Even more strange. If I put a static textField on stage with Arial as font, the
font is automatically embedded. Then Πis displayed.

But when I put Arial font in library with linkage “Arial”, suddenly Œ is no
more displayed.

Can’t seem to understand this…

thx

Lieven Cardoen
Application developer

indiegroup
interactive digital experience
engelse wandeling 2 k18 b8500 kortrijk
Indie group zal op maandag 23 oktober uitzonderlijk gesloten zijn.

Indie group will be closed on Monday, October 23th.