Hi all and thanks for the input.

I agree with Dave that the svg does look bloated compared to swf, and
Claus and Jaco's explanations make sense for why this is. So far from
what I found I agree with Jaco that there is no golden rule for
predicting filesize when embedding svgs except that usually the swf
will be smaller.

I tried some of the suggested Inkscape optimising tips
(ungroup,convert to paths, removing metadata/gradient definitions) and
others (Vacuum Defs, Paths simplify) but none had a notable filesize
impact once that particular svg was embedded in Flash (although they
do benefit other svgs).

The main culprit seems to be the three shadows below the base and one
once they were removed from the svg took the resulting swf from 63k
down to 30k which is roughly the svg/swf ratio I would expect.

One related thing I found is :
Original monitor svg = 64k adds 63k to the swf when embedded alone
Edited   monitor svg = 69k adds 30k to the swf when embedded alone
Embedding BOTH svg files in the SAME swf adds only 63k to the swf

I am guessing that the reason why is that when converting embedded
svgs to swf the Flex2 SDK caches paths and gradients converts them to
symbols in the library so that if it finds the same definition in
another embedded svg it pulls it out of the library instead of
recreating it. But I would need to test it some more to be sure. Cool
if it is though.

I put up the edited examples and a new post here
http://www.dehash.com/?p=41 if anyone wants to follow it up.

-gary