-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Yehia
Shouman
Sent: 26 October 2006 00:33
To: Flashcoders mailing list
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Flash video multiple streams...

If I think of doing this, I'd do it using the following ways:
1. if I have Flash Media Server (Streaming method)
Use it with server side actionscript to server streaming video, with
server
side actionscript to play the first 10 seconds, and I'd catch with the
progress listener on an unskinned FLV player that the movie has reached
the
first 1 second, thats when I'll pause the video, until I rollover it
thats
when I need to play it again

2.If I dont have flash media server
Using a FLV slicing thumbnail creator, like FLVKnife, with a little
server
side script code to created the shorter videos on upload, and another
tool
to extract an image for a thumbnail, bearing in mind that usually on
users
videos, the first 10 seconds may include titles, or black screens (Mr. X
presents), You know the users love to get "cool" with their home made
videos, so a progressive load wont be of equal quality to this solution,
Also this solution will help you with the 1 by 1 sequential loading
technique, for you're to load only what you'd show (I recommend this
one)

3. (Progressive loading)
 If I dont have flash media server and I hate to waste my time on server
side scripting but I can bear performance issues, I'd have multiple
unskinned instances of the FLVPlayback, and i'd catch using the
progressive
listener the first frame (frames per second/playHeadTime) and pause, and
when rollover happens play (and create a new listener waiting for the
10th
second to restart video again), and on Rollout restart and pause

Hope if this doesnt help atleast would highlight some other possible
solutions or act as thought provoking to the other list members

Regards
Yehia Shouman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---

On 10/25/06, Jason Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem where multiple video streams, which are slowing a
page
> down (download time) ... see here:
> http://www.fotoko.com/?str=1N%3D%2A%5C%3BKLP6R%3DT3%5BB%2E1R%0Dpy%1B
>
> The video does load ... eventually, and then works fine on subsequent
> visit due to caching ... my issue is with the loading times on the
first
> visit.
>
> So, I need to control the way video is streamed to the page. Bearing
in
> mind that the video only needs to show a preview in thumbnail mode and
> stream only when the thumbnails are clicked, I thought the following
> process would be best ... and I was wondering how to achieve step 2 as
> am fine with the rest.
>
> 1) Start streaming (progressive) video into a Video symbol (using
> netConnection() etc)
> 2) Detect when the first frame has loaded << HOW!?
> 3) Once the first frame has loaded, draw the video into a Movie Clip
> (using draw() etc)
> 4) Stop streaming the video (until the thumbnail is clicked).
>
> Any other suggestions are of course welcome!
>
> Note: I am loading in the images one by one to reduce simultaneous
open
> streams, but the video's will potentially be too big to wait for to
use
> this approach.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason.
>
> Legal Disclaimer:
> This email message (including any attachments) is strictly
confidential
> and is intended only for the person(s) or organisation(s) named above.
The
> unauthorised use, disclosure, distribution and/or copying of the email
> message, or any information it contains (including any attachments),
is
> strictly prohibited and could in certain circumstances constitute a
legal
> offence.  If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the
sender
> immediately by return email and delete the email from your system.
>
> Internet email communications are not always secure and may be
susceptible
> to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment, and
therefore
> "View" does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this
message
> for any such corruption, interception or amendment or the consequences
> thereof nor any delay in its receipt.
>
> Although this email message and any attachments are believed to be
free of
> any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into
which
> it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient
> ensure that it is virus free.  No responsibility is accepted by "View"
for
> any loss or damage in any way arising from its use.
>
> Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily
> those of "View".

This incoming message has been checked for all known viruses by the
MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.

[...]

received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that