it sounds to me like what is happening is that the user has a version less than flash 8 installed, so they *should* get the expressinstall prompt, but that probably isn't working. mostlikely the code wasn't implemented properly in your swf.

for the next release of swfobject i'm fixing this to make it more foolproof (failproof?) by using a separate swf for the expressinstall parts. this was mainly because it's required now for flash 9 swfs that use as3...

so if you are interested in testing out the new version, you are welcome to grab it and try it. just note that the expressinstall stuff works a little differently... you should be able to see how it works by looking at the example expressinstall.html page.

http://blog.deconcept.com/code/swfobject2.0/

if anyone else wants to try it out, feel free... we are using it here at schematic for a flash 9 project and haven't had any issues with it yet, so it appears to be pretty solid, but if anyone has any feedback feel free to send it along to me.