but html inside your flash movie doesn't need to be valid, and in some cases might even display wrong, since the flash player is what displays it, not the browser...

so trying to make htmlText that is only displayed in the flash player valid is a bit of a waste of time. when you validate an html page, it validates the html and not the stuff inside the swf.