In ActionScript (as opposed to Java), I think it's better to use a
property:

class Singleton {
        private function Singleton() {
        }
        public static function get instance():Singleton {
                if (_instance == undefined) {
                        _instance = new Singleton();
                }
                return _instance;
        }
        private static var _instance:Singleton;
}
// Elsewhere:
Singleton.instance; // Returns the only instance of Singleton.

> Personally I would prefer an EventDispatcher rather than the Observer

Yes. EventDispatcher is everywhere in AS3.0, so might as well start
using it now.

> pattern, creating events like onWindChange, onRainChange, etc..., and
> WeatherEvent object carrying the new weather values.

Generally in the code that Macromedia/Adobe writes, event names don’t
have "on" as part of the name, but a function responding to them might,
e.g.:

WeatherManager.instance.addEventListener("windChange",
Delegate.create(this, onWindChange));

Or, in AS3.0:

WeatherManager.instance.addEventListener("windChange", onWindChange);
--
Mike Keesey