sure, i think that you are making a mistake though not testing for a flash version number.

if you have flash 8 content, and you user has flash player 7 (or lower) - your method would still embed the swf into the page, and the user's flash player would attempt to play that swf... often resulting in very strange things happening. maybe some stuff won't show up, maybe it will show up partially, maybe it will just be an empty box... it depends on the content.

i completely understand your wanting to roll your own thing, that's why I wrote swfobject in the first place - all of the existing solutions weren't that great - overly bulky or too complicated to use, or sometimes just plain didn't work for the situations i needed.

that said, i think you should take a good look at the whole package - it's very small and super easy to use, and lets you rest well knowing that your users don't get wacky content showing up. We use it on tons of high profile websites every day, and thousands of other people do as well (go and pick just about any flash site or flash movie these days and view source, i bet 8/10 times you'll see swfobject there in the source).

it's just one file, not an entire framework or app to maintain.