-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of nik
crosina
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 7:19 PM
To: Flashcoders mailing list
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] connecting excel spread sheet to Flash

HI Nick,

I havcen't fully spec'ed the app yet, but as it is a re-work of an
existing rather cumbersome thing, we are thinking of having a
'zinc'ed' swf, that accesses various excel files for information as
and when this is needed for display in the app (the data will consist
of prices, model numbers, are images possible here? I know Excel too
little to know if you can store images in teh cells as well theses
days ... must look it up).

I am planning to use the same excel files to be printed out as a
brochure sheets of the products. In other words if the user clicks on
a print button, the swf sends the respective .xls to the printer.

In teh past we had 2 documents for each product: one for display on
screen (powerpoint), and the same - with slightly differnet design -
as a PDF that could be printed.

Pretty ambitous rject I am beginning to realise!

Thaks,

Nik

On 11/22/06, Nick Weekes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Just out of interest, whats the architecture of your Excel/Flash app?
Is
> it Excel for data and Flash for reporting?  Do you need the Excel file
to be
> an Excel file (i.e. xls) or can it be 'dumb' xml (i.e. an xml file
with
> Excel attributes)?  Are all the files stored in the same folder (i.e.
xls +
> swf)?
>
> Is your app code stored in the swf or swf + xls?
>
> Easier to point you in the right direction if you answer some of these
> questions!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nick

Merrill,
> Jason
> Sent: 22 November 2006 16:26
> To: Flashcoders mailing list
> Subject: RE: [Flashcoders] connecting excel spread sheet to Flash
>
> OK for CD then.  So For the XML idea Nick suggested, that's not going
to be
> easy if it's on CD.  It would be to have the user save as XML from
Excel
> (File > Save As > save as XML data) to their local drive, and then use
> third party projector like Zinc or mProjector to browse to the file
they
> saved and then load that XML into flash (not sure about what security
> restrictions you would encounter with a third party and loading XML in
the
> project at that point).  If you also need help loading and getting
data from
> XML, that's another topic altogether.  Hope that helps.
>
> Jason Merrill
> Bank of America
> Learning & Organizational Effectiveness

Nik C