Millie,

I think Dave and Kent pretty much answered your question about Flex cost.
Since you mention education licenses, one thing I can add is that academic
licenses for Flex 2 w/Components are a mere $79!  Of course you have to be a
student, teacher, professor, etc.  One source here:
www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=760814

Also, since you already have Flash 8 Pro you can use that to start doing AS3
programming today, by just downloading and adding in the "Flash Professional
9 ActionScript 3.0 Preview":
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flash9as3preview/
(btw ... since you have had issues with upgrade licenses, I suggest you
download the AS3 Preview today just in case you do not upgrade to Flash 9
immediately upon it's release.  Likely the AS3 Preview will disappear off of
labs as soon as Flash 9 ships.)

Lastly, Flash and Flex play to completely different audiences.  Flex barely
steps on Flash's turf, if at all.  For instance you ask "What if anything
will I lose by switching to Flex?"  Well for starters:  drawing tools,
timeline, swf's under 119KB.

Flash developers who do crossover work in Flex offer customization options
that straight Flex developers can not.  But if Flex Framework components do
not address your requirements, then you may have little or no need to commit
any of your time or $$ to Flex.

Following are links to some well enunciated observations about Flex from a
pair of powerhouse Flash developers:  Jesse Warden and Grant Skinner.

Flash Components vs. Flex Components
www.jessewarden.com/archives/2006/09/flash_component.html

Flex 2 from a Flash Developer's Perspective
www.gskinner.com/blog/archives/2006/07/flex_2_from_a_f.html

Flex Seminar Presentation, Flex and Flash, Online
http://www.jessewarden.com/archives/2006/09/flex_seminar_pr.html
(see especially the link for Jesse's "Using Flash & Flex Together"
presentation which streams off the net here:
http://www2.sys-con.com/webinararchive.cfm?registered=on&pid=wc_rwf6_s06warden
I saw Jesse's deliver a later version of this presentation at MAX and it
should be required viewing for Flash developers thinking about Flex)

btw ... if you want an idea of why Flex even exists, check out under the
heading "We Call This 'The Timeline.' No, Wait, Come Back!" from what I
still think is the classic explanation from Flash powerhouse Nigel Pegg:
www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/flash_perspective.html

I hope that some or all of this helps.  If you (or others reading this) do
do some crossover work in Flex, please post back with your impressions and
insights.

hth,