You'll want to consider something along the lines of Flash Remoting for such a project.

When choosing a remoting option, price and platform are the key components to consider. Consider these two options:

- macromedia\adobe flash remoting (.net\iis)  costs cash

- amfphp (linux,php) \ free and easy

good luck!
-lincoln