k.. what you said jives with other things that I've been reading, but I can't
get it to work and it doesn't match up to what I'm finding in the docs or the
IDE settings.

In Component Definition>Live Preview there's "No live preview", "Live Preview
in external .swf file", and "Live Preview with .swf file embedded in .fla
file".  There's nothing for "use this symbol for Live Preview as well".

I have my FLA with symbol in it (the symbol I want to be my component), I point
it to my class that contains my [Inspectable] code and I set the symbol to "No
live preview" then convert it to a compiled clip (or a SWC) -- I don't get a
live preview when it's dropped on the stage.

If I use an external SWF for live preview and use xch then it all works.. I get
live preview and parameters entered into the component inspector are updated on
the live preview.  But it's extra code to maintain, etc.

Is there an example of this somewhere?  All I can find are old tutorials
showing how to build components for MX and MX04.. which use separate live
preview SWFs and xch to exchange data with the component inspector.