Hi jbach,

You ask about "differences for as2, and as3".  But you preface it with "I
know this has been discussed ad nauseam for as1".

I think any performance comparisons of AS1 to AS3 would be the same for AS2
to AS3.

fwiw, my understanding is that *at runtime* AS1 and AS2 are
one-and-the-same.  Or as the  post at following link put it 2 weeks ago AS2
"was just syntactical sugar on top of AS1":
http://www.flashmagazine.com/1363.htm

As of Flash Player 9, there are now 2 "virtual machines" in the Flash
Player:  AVM1 and AVM2.  The AVM and AS numbering are not synchronized.  So,
AS3 compiles into bytecode rendered by AVM2.  And both AS1 and AS2 compile
into bytecode rendered by AVM1.  (btw ... the "1" on AVM1 likely was added
retroactively upon the appearance of AVM2.)

If my understanding is correct, the performance comparisons at the following
link comparing AS2 and AS3 imply similar performance for AS1 as those shown
for AS2:
http://oddhammer.com/actionscriptperformance/set4/

If I am incorrect in any of this, I would appreciate someone correcting me.

hth,

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam for as1, but what's the scoop on
loop speed differences for as2, and as3?

Is there as much of a difference between for, do while loops etc?

[e] jbach at bitstream.ca
[c] 416.668.0034
[w] www.bitstream.ca