The answer to your question is - you can consume any web service. I reccommend you look into fluorine for a web service that will actually convert c#.net classes into AMF3 objects returned from the web service call. Certain objects do not have a direct AMF representation - your dataset class is probably an example, unless it is just a class that contains a few members that are representable within AMF such as strings, arrays of strings, and so on.

GL

Seth

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rákos Attila" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2006 12:03 AM
Subject: [Flashcoders] Flex + web services Was: Remove elements from Array

(please don't post questions by simly replying to a previous post, but
create a new message - otherwise some e-mail clients will mix up
threads and the unchanged subject will be totally confusing, too)

BS> I have a Flex question. I have been considering FLEX 2.0, but when
BS> I spoke with the guy at Adobe, the first thing he told me was that
BS> FLEX could not consume web services without Flex Data Services and
BS> the price he quoted me for the Departmental License was (well,
BS> lets not say).

BS> Is this true, or can FLEX consume a web serivce but with
BS> limiations? By limitations, for example, not being able to consume
BS> a .Net dataset directly - needing to pass the data into an array.

Flex applications are able to use web services, as any Flash
application can use them. See the docs for details:

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/docs/00001095.html

Flex Data Services is a big addition of course, but it is not always
required - if the simple request-response method is enough for you and
don't need proxying or other sophisticated server-side things, then
you can go without FDS. And even if you need it, the single-CPU Flex
Data Services 2 Express Edition is totally free.

 Attila