the problem is these movieclips are one after the other on the timeline so
the associated class is constantly instantiated.

Does this make sense?

Not really, I'm afraid - I can't quite work out what you're up to. However,
it sounds very like removing the linkage is a hack to solve a problem that
you could solve in a much more elegant way just by reorganising things a
bit. It also sounds like neither of the options I offered will help. Could
you have another go at explaining what you're doing..?

Cheers,
  Ian