Hello :)

Yes you can :) Try this code (not tested)

class Test1 extends MovieClip
{

    /**
     * Constructor
     */
    function Test1()
    {

    }

   public function get _xscale ():Number
   {
        return _xscale_ ;
   }

   public function set _yscale( value:Number ):Void
   {
          __xscale__ = value ;
         // your code :)
   }

   private var _xscale_ = MovieClip.prototype._xscale ;

}

I use this technik in LUnAS the extension of VEGAS my framework OpenSource
with the "enabled" property... it's possible it's work with the _xscale
property.

NB 1 : Vegas project : http://vegas.riaforge.org/
NB 2 : the AbstractComponent class in LunAS with this hack over the enabled
property :
http://svn.riaforge.org/vegas/AS2/trunk/src/lunas/display/components/AbstractComponent.as

EKA+ :)