On Feb 7, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Jason Boyd wrote:

I think what I'm getting at is that to really be useful, it ought to scan
the document for <code> elements, then parse the text of these nodes,
applying styles (or adding classed <span> tags or whatever) to the words based on a look-up of keywords, and syntax checking etc. This way, it truly could be used on any page that uses <code> to show code, and could be easily extended to allow users to specify which language to use (AS, Java, etc). Would make a nifty extension for Mozilla-based browsers, for instance. If you don't have all the skills to put together these pieces, would be a good
project for SourceForge or something.

Well, if you want to send the whole HTML page to Flash to have it syntax highlighted then sent back to html ... then maybe you could do that.

IV's tool works by re-write of a DIV layer that is properly named. It just snags the HTML source, parses it and outputs it back. Simple string parsing actually.

It's a neat idea, as an experiment, but not for broad acceptance imho.

At that point, might as well just use Flash to display the syntax highlighting itself without using any overflow CSS tags for scrolling and stuff. But that already exists...

cheers,

jon