Hi Dave,

I'm not sure you need to be accessing your bitmap via a movieClip. I'm doing something similar but I use the bitmap directly from the library. I se the bitmap up an auto generated class using 'Linkage' i.e. 'myBitmap' then if I need the bitmapData in yourscript simply say:

var myBitmapData:myBitmap = new myBitmap();
var myBitmapInstance:Bitmap = new Bitmap(myBitmapData, "auto", true);
this.addChild(myBitmapInstance);

No need for a movieClip. I'm going to guess that when you use the movieClip you are accessing the bitmap as a child of that movieClip and trying to extract the bitmapData from that. I tried a similar approach and it did not work. Seems that bitmaps assigned in authoring mode return a type of Shape and not Bitmap when you try to access them. I'm guessing this is a bug in the alpha version.

hth,

Rob