If you want to simulate a painting application you have to be mindful of how
artists work. You WILL have ten of thousands of strokes being generated
which will at some point (depending on the users system) slow down the flash
player.
Many artists do lots of sketch style mouse actions where they may draw 500
tiny lines just to outline their drawing, and then another 5000 lines
filling in an area with shading and color.

Placing these thousands of bitmaps will slow things down more so than using
a more efficient method of modifying bitmap data.