I've had similar problems with apps that have a bunch of components. Assigning a listener in one component to the events of a component that has yet to initialize is problematic.

I've considered trying to change the load order from bottom up to top down but it isn't practical for me. It might work for you.

The Macromedia components have a method named doLater(somemthod) which delays the call to somemethod until all the component parameters have been initialized. This seems like a workaround for asynchronous loading. Which points to a solution wherein you delay assignment of the listener or wait for a signal from the target movie clip. Both have their problems but would probably work.

I'm curious what others have to say about this problem and similar load progress problems.

Josh Ettwein wrote:
The title may be inaccurate, but I think timing of instantiation is what's causing my problem. If anyone can point me to a solution, I'd be most appreciative. Here's the scenario:

1) On main stage, there is a moviclip representing the main application UI called "main_mc"
2) "main_mc" is bound in the library to a class "FileUploader"
3) Contained within the "main_mc" are some movieclips which are instances via linkage in the library of another class, "BaseButton".
4) "BaseButton" contains all the code required for EventDispatcher
5) When tested in a test FLA, with the "BaseButton" instance mc's directly on the stage, and addEventListener code written on _root to catch the dispatched events from the "BaseButton" mc's, all works great. Events broadcast by the buttons are "listened for" as expected and all is good.

My issue arises when the "BaseButton" clips are nested INSIDE the "main_mc" clip and addEventListeners on the "base_mc"'s "FileUploader" class are not catching the dispatched events.

NOTE: If I put the BaseButton clips into the "main_mc" clip via attachMovie vs having them manually placed there at compile-time, the dispatched events are caught effectively.

What I need to know is... why? I would assume that it's a situation where the main class' addEventListeners are being registered before the button mc's that they are listening for event from are instantiated, but not sure.

And then the big question... if that is in fact what is happening, what's the workaround/solution? I really don't want to have to attach everything from the library for the entire UI, as it makes for difficult layout of the application in the IDE for the designers who are creating the UI elements down the road.

Any help anyone can provide would be awesome!

Thanks,

Josh

Josh Ettwein | Sr. Software Engineer | Eyespot.com | www.eyespot.com