Omar,
Thanks for the php references. I need that for a  different piece of this
puzzle. I left out the the non-Flash part of this story in the original
description. I have a bunch of Python wrapped around the Flash. So I wrote a
Python CGI to write the variable out to XML and bridge my little
misunderstanding with Flash. I use a .send() to invoke the Python with a
query string and it works fine.

Thanks,
Teresa