Actually you have an Object not an Array when you define your variable :

        var myarray = { text:"Lorem ipsum" };

is the same as

        var myarray:Object = new Object();
        myarray.text = "Lorem ipsum";

but with Actionscript you can access objects with the array notaion []

        var i:Number = 1;
        var myMC:String = "movieClip"+i;

        this[myMC]._x = 26;

        myarray["text"] = "Lorem Ipsum";

instead of

        this.movieClip1._x = 26;

        myarray.text = "Lorem Ipsum";

If you really want an associative array, look at Jason's answer
Otherwise keep on using the Object notation, but you will lack all the Array
object specific methods

Alain