If your class extends MovieClip and you have attached it to a MovieClip in the library, you should be able to call the functions on the timeline just as if they where methods of your class.

You just have to make sure that
- your class is dynamic
- you invoke the functions with the "this" keyword
- the MovieClip is completely loaded and initialized before calling any function

// on the timeline:
function doSomething(pString:String):Void
{
   trace(pString);
}

// your class:
dynamic class ExtendedMovieClip extends MovieClip
{
   public function ExtendedMovieClip()
   {
      super();
   }

   private function onLoad():Void
   {
      this.doSomething("hi there");

Keep in mind that, because the class is dynamic, you won't get any compiler errors when invoking a function that doesn't exists. You also risk to overwrite class methods with timeline functions (the timeline is initialized after the class is instantiated) ... but hey ... we're not talking about whether it's *right* to do things that way, are we? ;-) Rewriting your code would definitely be the better way to do it.

Roman

Danny Kodicek schrieb:
if you are using classes, why do you have code in the movieclip timeline ???

Because sometimes it's easier that way. (And because this is a legacy
project that I'm trying not to *completely* rewrite...). Specifically, I've
already got a load of movieclips with similar functionality, which I was
hoping I might be able to attach a class to while still keeping the
different functions (rather than having to make a new class for every
symbol).

Like I said, I'm not suggesting it's *right* to do things this way, just
asking if it's *possible*...

Danny