Stephen.
 Object.registerClass is used all the time in AS2 to connect library
objects to implementing classes - so it's definitely relevant.

Essentially, you use Object.registerClass to tell the system what type
of class should be associated with a clip when it is attached via
attachMovie(). It's the same as specifying the linkage in the linkage
dialog, but is done dynamically in the code (and therefore it's
possible to attach the same symbol as different classes, if you need
to - it's also handy if your library is supplied by a graphic designer
who isn't informed enough to insert the appropriate linkages.)

HTH,
  Ian