i adjusted the detection in swfobject to account for debug players in the last update (1.5) which may explain why my test site works and youtube doesn't.

but they should still detect that you have a version > 7 which is what all their videos are encoded for...

are you using firefox or IE? and are you on XP or OS X? Have you tried running the uninstaller and then reinstalling it?