> That's another bugger that gets me too. You open a MX 2004 file in Studio
> 8 and when you go to save, it saves it as version 8.

That's not the default behavior.
The default behavior is to prompt you that you're trying to save an older
format to a newer format.
If it doesn't it means it has been disabled in the preferences (as has already
been mentioned).

This doesn't solve the problem when someone using Flash 8 creates a new
document and saves it though (and forgets to select
mx2004)..

regards,
Muzak