        EventDispatcher.initialize(this);

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Ngo
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:46 AM
To: flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com
Subject: RE: [Flashcoders] Events for custom classes?

You'll need a reference of the dispatching class in your listener class to
receive events:

// broadcasting class
import mx.events.EventDispatcher;

class EventClass
{
        // EventDispatcher methods
        public var addEventListener:Function;
        public var removeEventListener:Function;
        private var dispatchEvent:Function;

        public function EventClass()
        {

        }

        public function onInit():Void
        {
                trace('onInit fired!');
                dispatchEvent({type: "onInit", target: this});

// listener class
import mx.utils.Delegate;

class ListenerClass
{
        public function ListenerClass(eventClass:MyEventClass)
        {
                eventClass.addEventListener("onInit", Delegate.create(this,
onInitHandler));
        }

        private function onInitHandler(event:Object):Void
        {
                trace('onInitHandler invoked');

// implementation
var eventClass:EventClass = new EventClass();
var listenerClass:ListenerClass = new ListenerClass(eventClass);
eventClass.onInit();