Thanks John,

My loop is even simpler. I failed to mention that I need to examine nested
MovieClip instances for functions. Variables seem to appear as expected, but
functions only appear for the current scope. Very strange.

Works as expected:

for (var propertyIdentifier:String in this)
{
  trace(propertyIdentifier);
}

Does not work as expected:

for (var propertyIdentifier:String in this.someNestedInstance)
{
  trace(propertyIdentifier);
}

-