On Apr 19, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Randy Tinfow wrote:

We have not had much luck deploying video that is more demanding than
the following:

720x540 pixels, at 15fps, 1.2mbps.

If we do larger than that, we get stuttering video. Even jacking up the
frame rate to 29.97 causes hesitation problems.
Are there ways to hook into video board acceleration to run On2VP6?

We've used PowerDVD Deluxe to playback H264 at 1080-24p via an Nvidia
board acceleration.  Hoping there is a way to do this with On2.
Otherwise, I don't get the point to Adobe's announced Flash Video
Player.

On2 VP6 is a software decoded format, it's not supported in any hardware decoding systems that I am aware of.

You shouldn't need hardware acceleration for H.264. If you need hardware acceleration, then your system is too slow (honestly). I can play back 1080p, 4:2:0 in realtime, 24/30 fps no problem.

Playback of H.264 is dependent on the data rate you're working with, which, unless you're a broadcast firm is most likely to be well under 20 MB/s. Encode a 1080p H.264 Quicktime file (mid-profile is all it supports for now) and play that back. At best quality you shouldn't have any problem if you have a fast enough system.

H.264 is way more demanding than the OnVP6 codec. It's also quite a bit higher quality and can handle much higher data rates.

I'm not sure what your system specs are but I've got HD FLV files that playback quite nicely, from 720p up to1080p.

cheers,

Jon

Jon Bradley
Animation / Interactive / Visual FX