"It has always been the FSF's position that dynamically linking applications to libraries creates a single work derived from both the library code and the application code. The GPL requires that all derivative works be licensed under the GPL, an effect which can be described as "hereditary." So, if an application links to a library licensed under the GPL, the application too must be licensed under the GPL. By contrast, libraries licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) may be linked to proprietary applications."

Source:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-java.html

FSF == Free Software Foundation

If you have to go the GPL route, you can tell your employers that all the code is in the SWF anyway, making it available just takes away an extra step from the process of acquiring the code.

This has some good FAQs:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

Good Luck,
Rob.

Henry Cooke wrote:
Hey folks,

I'm looking at using some GPL licensed code (Flade, to be specific) in a
game I'm building for my employers. However, I can't find a clear answer
anywhere as to what that implies for our source: does anyone know if using GPL licensed libraries means that we would have to release the source to our game? Or just the library, if I modify it? Or not at all? I assume compiling
a SWF constitutes creating a binary version, but are we technically
"distributing" it if it's loaded from a web server?

Henry

Addendum for Free Software people: I'm not trying to circumvent the GPL
here, just trying to understand the implications to my employer. Personally,
I think open source is a fantastically good thing. I just need to know if
I'm going to have to convince my bosses of that ;)