This might not be the most elegant solution, but since you know 128 = full shift to new value and 0 and 256 = no shift to new value you can use a formula to calculate the shift and then build the new rgb value after the calculations are complete.

Assuming you want a linear relationship, it would look something like:

GRAPH: Multiplier vs Value:

*0  128 256
1    / \
.   /   \
.  /     \
0 /       \

[pardon my ascii art!!]

CODE:
//check if original R/G/B component value is above middle point or
//bellow it:

if (originalValue:Number < 128):Number {

                multiplyer = 128 * (originalValue/128);//ratio

        } else {

                multiplyer = 128 * ((256-originalValue)/128);//ratio
        }

        //originalValue is the r or g or b parameter you are
        //transforming, you run this function once per r,g,b component
        //in other words: run this function 3 times! for full r/g/b
        //or use a matrix transform...

        newValue = valueToConvert * multiplyer;
        return newValue;//assuming you put this code in a function call?
}

haven't checked the math, there might be an error in my formula...
:P

hope this helps!

with kind,

seb.

Mike Mountain wrote:
Hey guys

I'm working with greyscale images - assume neutral colour temperature is 50%
grey. These are shaded from white to black, white representing light, black
shading, and all the variable shades in between etc.

I need to tint the greyscale bitmapData to produce a shaded coloured image
using the colorMatrixFilter() from an RGB or Hex value.

so if the whole image was 50% grey (ie. r=128, g=128, b=128) it should
become r=256,g=0,b-0 - black should stay black, white should stay white but
the colours in between should be shades of red.

Anyone got a clue how I can do this?

Cheers

Mike