Mark is true. Respect! :-)

I used Math.atan(), too and if/else to know, in which quadrant of the
circle the drag element is moved.

I uploaded my quick&dirty source now. Please be kind! :-)
http://lizu.net/circle.swf
http://lizu.net/circleSrc.zip

it consists of the circle drag mechanism, but I think, the scrolling
can be easily applied then with a 'rule of three' and the angle.

hth,
Matthias

2007/5/23, Mark Winterhalder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On 5/23/07, Jesse Graupmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Trigonometry

No need, apart from Math.atan2() to get the result -- assuming the
anchor point of the container is in the middle, just normalize the
vector from the centre to the mouse and then scale it to the desired
radius, that's the position of the handle.

About like this:

var xmouse = ...
var ymouse = ...
var radius = ...

var magnitude = Math.sqrt( xmouse * xmouse + ymouse * ymouse );

var x = xmouse / magnitude * radius;
var y = ymouss / magnitude * radius;
var angle = Math.atan( ymouse, xmouse ); // devide by Math.PI * 180 if you wish
// now set the position of the handle to x, y and broadcast an event
with the angle.

If you want to set it to a certain angle (in radians), it should be
something like...

var x = Math.cos( angle ) * radius;
var y = Math.sin( angle ) * -radius;

...which might turn into the wrong direction or be set off by
Math.PI/2, in that case, flip the sign of y and/or add/subtract
Math.PI/2 to the angle.

HTH,
Mark