I see a spelling mistake in my original question, I meant "kill all the
handlers within a particular movieclip", i.e. each content movieclip.

The number of and names of the onRelease handlers changes in each content
movieclip, so rather than writing some hugely complex list of onRelease etc
names and deleting them by name (as you have suggested), I wondered if there
is any way to kill off all button handlers within a particular movieclip?