Hi Jason,

Thanx for explaining ;-)

> I found with Remoting there were a lot more calls I seemed to have to
> make to get the connection going

Not 100% sure what you mean here, but I guess you're referring to the fact that
you first have to define the Remoting gateway url.
This is similar to defining the wsdl url when using webservices.. after which
you invoke methods on it
Ah wait.. there's an extra step with remoting.. you have to define the service
you want to invoke methods on ;-)
But it can be done in one line of code:
custService = new Service("http://localhost/flashservices/gateway";, null,
"path.to.Coldfusion.service", null, null);

> And then with ColdFusion, some of the more complex data types didn't get
> transferred correctly.

Can't say I have run into issues with complex data (doesn't mean there
weren't/aren't any).
I mostle send Array of Objects back and forth which works just fine.
The only think you have to look out for is case-sensitivity.
Coldfusion is not case-sensitive while ActionScript 2 is and when you do a
query on a database, all field names become uppercase by
default, so that's something to keep in mind.
In the early days (ActionScript 1) it was OK to just return a cfquery, which
was then transformed into a RecordSet automatically.
This is now considered bad practice.

One of the nice things about remoting is the ability to send/receive
ValueObjects (or DataTransferObjects), in other words, you can
map server side objects (a CFC in Coldfusion) to ActionScript Classes. The same
goes for Java Classes, not sure about .NET.
This is currently not possible when using Webservices. When you receive a typed
object through a webservice, no mapping occurs and
you have to do that manually (or not bother at all, hehe).

I probably use webservices as much as flash remoting, but when available (which
isn't always the case) I prefer remoting.
The nice thing about Coldfusion though is that you can use the same CFC's both
ways ;-)

Throw in Flex and LDS (LiveCycle Data Services, previously Flex Data Services)
and you can do some really wicked stuff.
http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/dataservices/

By the way, Adobe recently opened up the ColdFusion 8 beta:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/coldfusion8/

Toose interested should have a look at the "what's new" pdf, it's quite
impressive:

regards,
Muzak