Hi,

Have a google for "Flash Remoting" - there are a number of Open Source server side systems to allow the Flash Remoting interface to pass data:

OpenAMF is a Java one, I have done a bit with AMF PHP. It uses a binary format so your data is less bloated and with AMFPHP you can pass SQL result-sets across the wire without having to iterate through them to extract data into another form. You will need to get the Remoting libraries from Adobe "Flash Remoting" in the search box. Some of the previous threads about missing components in CS3 mention Flash Remoting may be an issue too.

If this is a problem, maybe look at using sockets - XML in AS2, AS3 allows binary sockets.

osflash.org is a good place to look for client side libraries and frameworks to help you use these various technologies - ARP, Pixlib are both frameworks.

   Hope this helps...

   Glen

Cary Ho wrote:
I had had this question under another topic, but I thought maybe it needed its own appropriate title.

Im looking for a free solutions (aside from Flash CS3 itself) what can help me communicate with the server. Im making a client/server type program with my flash as the client. Currently we use Java at the back end, so the Flash program will be put linked into a jsp program.

We use a lot of javascript and dwr(Ajax) to do a lot of our web side processing. This is mainly for all the dhtml we use. So I was thinking using the External Interface (which was earlier suggested) to call my DWR functions and just communicate through this mechanism. Is there any other way or possibly a more appropriate way?