I was happy to see a FileReference Class finally in Flash so that the upload of basic files could be accomplished without the use of backend scripts.

However, I want to use FileReference in a slightly different way and I feel like it should be possible but can't quite get there.

Here's the goal:

Allow the user to select a text file from their local file system to populate a text field on the stage.

Solution?:

I used FileReference.browse() to allow the user to find the file of interest, once selected, I have access to the FileReference properties including file name. If I had the path to the file in addition to name, I could use URLLoader to pull in the text file, but I only have name.

Questions:

Is there a way to get at the full qualified path for the file? Or better, since I have the FileReference object, is there a way to access its contents?

Thanks in advance,
Paul