Thanks for replying(if you do),

Note:( I am excusing myself from double posting this one, because a: it has
been 4-5 hours since I posted on flash newbies, and b:I think maybe it is
better suited to the flash coders emails :) )

I feel like this one should have came to light a while ago, the project is
nearing completion, and I still need to fix this: a simple two part movieClip
control.
A movie clip in a page of a menu link -pagepreloaded onscreen - (e.g.
instanceName.thisClip ) is supposed to play from its frame 2  through to half
way (thisClip is an animation of a sleeve or folder opening) then on second
press of thisClip the movie plays from the half way point to the end (sleeve
closing).  This all works fine, until I go to use the thisClip again.
Re-accessing the mov it does not begin again at frame(2), but then does play
the close sequence.  This sort of stinks.   Not sure why it is not playing from
the second frame.
here is the code bare minimum - below that is the code commented with traces.

pressNum=0;  // toggle variable

page.p9.onPress = function(){
this.swapDepths(10000);

 if(pressNum !=1){openPlay(this);}
 else{closePlay(this);}
}

function openPlay(p){
 pressNum =1;
 p.gotoAndStop(1);
 p.gotoAndPlay("start");  //start is 2nd frame
}

function closePlay(p){
p.gotoAndPlay(36);   //36 center frame
pressNum =0;
}

Same code with comments.

pressNum=0;

page.p9.onPress = function(){
//page is the loaded mov clip  // p9 is a mov "button" that opens and closes
like a folder.

 this.swapDepths(10000);
//all buttons (p1, p2, p3, p4, ect.) are on the page level and I bring them up
to 10000 while opening as animation overlaps the other buttons.

 if(pressNum !=1){openPlay(this);} // simple binary toggle in conditional.
sends this (page.p9) to function
 else{closePlay(this);}
}

function openPlay(p){
 trace(p._currentframe);
 //traces  1 first read through code, second(and susequent runs reads) traces
70 (last frame)

 pressNum =1;    //binary toggle switch
 p.gotoAndStop(1);   // returns to first frame
 trace(p._currentframe);   //traces frame '1' for every read through the code.
 p.gotoAndPlay("start");  /only plays from frame "start" (frame 2) on the first
read through the code.
}

function closePlay(p){        //no problems with this function.
 trace(p._currentframe);     //traces 36 every time
 p.gotoAndPlay(36);
pressNum =0;
}

so That is the code.  I figure it is a common problem with movie clips, maybe
nested movie clips when referencing.  But a basic reset or reload issue. But
then it doesn't make sense to me that the clip starts the closing sequence at
the right frame every time, and not start at the beginning evey time aswell.
So I hope some know more about this particular issue than I do.

Thanks for the response,

Vdst.