I am building a desktop app (mac and pc) and it has to upload a bunch of
files - pdf's, word docs and images - to a server side script. This has to
be done via HTTP and cannot be FTP.

The problem arises because I do not want the user to have to select the
file/s before uploading so I cannot use the flash 8 FileReference class.

The user should be able to drag the required files onto the application.

I believe it is possible to upload binary data using AS3 but I cannot find
any examples of this and as I have not as yet looked at AS3, some examples
or advice on where to start would be much appreciated.

As far as I am aware I will need to use Zinc to package the application as
this will provide additional functionality such as the ability to drag and
drop files onto the application.

Apollo / Air is out of the question as it is only in beta stage and also
this application needs to be run from a flash drive without any preinstall
on the users hard drive.

Thanks in advance

Paul