On Jul 30, 2007, at 11:56 AM, matt stuehler wrote:

Two questions -

1. The client has asked about the feasibility of developing this in
Flex instead of Flash. Since I'm only beginning to learn Flex, I can't
really answer this. But my simplistic understanding is that, at a high
level, Flex is a language for tying together individual Flash
components into an overall UI/RIA. So, if you're building a low-level
highly customized, unique "component" - Flash is the right tool for
that, not Flex. Is this correct?

Basically true, though unique components can be created in Flex/AS3 as well, the process is a bit harder.

2. Assuming 1. is correct, what special considerations are there for
developing a Flash movie/widget/component that might be embedded in an
HTML page, AND/OR used within a Flex application?

Check out the "FlexComponentKit", which I think is still on labs.adobe.com as a beta. It allows you to wrap MovieClips into a UIComponent in Flash, export them as an SWC, and reference them in Flex. Works really really well, and takes a lot of the effort out of the process of doing it in other ways.

--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.