From: Alan Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 6:47 PM
To: flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com
Subject: [Flashcoders] static vs singleton

hi all,

I have a model class that contains xml data for a file I am
manipulating.  What would be the difference between setting it up as
a singleton and just accessing it via static vars and methods?

myFile.load(<file name='oldName'....);
myFile.setFileName('NewFileName');

with the class containing something like:

package {
        public class myFile extends Object {
                private static var xml:XML;

                public static function load(fileXML:String):void {
                        xml=fileXML;
                }
                public static function setFileName(fileName:String):void {
                        [EMAIL PROTECTED] fileName;

This approach works fine, but I haven't used AS3 enough to know if
this is an obvious memory problem.  But it seems more logical than
doing:

new myFile();
myFile.getInstance().setFilename()... etc.

Thanks!
Alan