Thanks Glen. Yes, I've just started moving over to using _REQUEST, but there was one _POST left in the script that sat just up stream of the place where the error was.

It's a bit frustrating that Flash puts up a an "Error opening URL" rather than accepting the "Fatal error" message returned from the server as data. It would be a lot easier to debug.

Glen Pike wrote:
Hi,

   I keep doing this too with server side scripts.

A tip, you may know or not want to hear, but if you repeat it often enough you eventually remember.

I was told to always set my scripts up to work with $_REQUEST before changing to $_POST or $_GET, then they can be tested using the browser and dummy query strings to make sure the script is working before trying with Flash. This eliminates a lot of heartache and hair tearing for me.

   I hope this helps you too.

   Glen

Andrew Sinning wrote:
So, the problem was completely unrelated to using POST vs GET.

It turns out that a php runtime error will result in Flash reporting "Error opening URL". I expected to see the data returned in the onData string parameter.

Andrew Sinning wrote:
Under Windows XP, running FMX04 in authoring mode.

I've set up my ip-address map in 'c:\system32\drivers\etc\hosts' to direct a domain name to my development server. It's been working just fine for LoadVars in GET mode and also with the XMLObject, but it doesn't appear to work with the LoadVars object in POST mode: I get "Error opening URL...". I've checked, and it's definitely not hitting my production server.

This same server has a local network name. If I use this name instead of the domain name, then POST works just fine!