On Jan 3, 2008, at 1:41 PM, Andrew Sinning wrote:

I know there's a term for what I looking for, but I don't know it and my searches are coming up empty.

What do you call the technique of dividing a graphic into 9 different areas so that when you scale it the outer borders don't get distorted?

And, more germane to this list, can anybody point me to a component related to this subject?

It's called Scale-9. It is an option enabled for movie clips in the movie clip properties dialog (*accessed through the library)

Check your object in the library and edit the Properties. Enable Scale-9. Edit the graphic asset (it has to be a movie clip).

You will be presented with 4 (2 vertical, 2 horizontal) intersecting guides to define the regions that are scaled. You do not need 'divide' up your graphic manually (chop it up, that is).

1. Top Left, Top Right, Bottom Left, and Bottom Right are not scaled. They are chopped up during runtime and moved dynamically.
2. The top and bottom middle portions are scaled horizontally only
3. The left and right are scaled vertically only.
4. The center portion is scaled to fix the size you set your graphic to when you use it (minus the outside portions).

Finally, scale 9 properties for any movieclip can be added and defined at runtime through Actionscript. Look it up in the help docs.

have fun.

- jon