I realized the moment i encountered the problem that dynamically
adding a property to an argument was bad form so I went another
direction with it (thanks to all who suggested creating a subclass),
but I asked the question because I thought it was an interesting
problem.

The original function was used to add a unique token to an Object
containing a set of arbitrary parameters. ( here's a simplified
version )

function (theObject:Object) {

     theObject.__token = Math.random();

     sendVarsToServer(theObject);

}

In the above function, you get an error if a non-dynamic subclass of
Object is passed in.

I think the suggestion to use flash.utils.describeType() was probably
what I was looking for.

Jamie