ok, I did get it to puke - here's some info

[Switching to process 2666 thread 0x622f]
0x199ae696 in Flash_EnforceLocalSecurity ()

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x0000000c
0x199ae696 in Flash_EnforceLocalSecurity ()

The Flash log also had this in it
CLASS: [class Circle]
Warning: An ActionScript 1.0/2.0 SWF file has loaded an ActionScript
3.0SWF; code in the ActionScript
3.0 SWF will not run.
Error #2044: Unhandled IOErrorEvent:. text=Error #2036: Load Never
Completed.

The Document class seems to be the issue. Making a Symbol, assigning the
linkage without it works ok