I was certain I remember having to change this years ago to be able to
download more than 4 files in IE. Here is the page that references the limit
of 4 (&2)

MaxConnectionsPerServer REG_DWORD (Default 2)
Sets the number of simultaneous requests to a single HTTP 1.1 Server

MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server REG_DWORD (Default 4)
Sets the number of simultaneous requests to a single HTTP 1.0 Server

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q183110