A native English speaker, when learning German, will generally remark
"Wow! Because of this feature in German, I now understand English a
little better."

Programming languages are the same way. Learning another
object-oriented language will help you identify how features in
ActionScript work (or don't work). And learning a language from
another paradigm entirely (functional or procedural, probably) will
help you identify weaknesses and strengths of object-oriented
programming.

Not to mention that a programmer who knows AS3, Java, and Lisp is
immensely more valuable than one who just knows AS3. It proves you
have the capacity to learn, which is a very marketable trait.

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Alan MacDougall
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > On 3/24/08, Naveen Bhaskar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am a flash designer and I am in intermediate in programming.(AS2).
> > >
> > > anybody pls tellme what are the good books I can refer.
> > >

>  And remember, just learning Actionscript in particular will not teach you
> programming in general. Jeff Atwood has an excellent list of books on topics
> essential to all programmers, even Actionscript programmers:
> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000020.html
>
>  And if you really want to be a programmer, learn more than just
> Actionscript! A scripting language like Python, Ruby, or Perl will be
> extremely useful to you even as Flash developer -- but you'll never realize
> it until you've learned one.

Cory Petosky : Lead Developer : PUNY
1618 Central Ave NE Suite 130
Minneapolis, MN 55413