  From: jonathan howe
  To: Flash Coders List
  Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 6:53 PM
  Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Reading properties of a textbox [AS3]

  Okay, but in the simple example, you are using it for both:

  Okay, but formatter should not be treated as a property of _selectedBox.
  _selectedBox has no property named formatter.

  This is the offending line:

  if (_selectedBox.formatter.italic == false)

  You already have set formatter to the value of _selectedBox.getTextFormat();
  Thus your conditional should read:

  if (formatter.italic == false)

  To simplify it to keeping formatter separate from the current format, let's
  rewrite:

  var currentFormat:TextFormat = _selectedBox.getTextFormat();
  var formatter:TextFormat = new TextFormat();

    if (currentFormat.italic == false)
    {
     formatter.italic = true;
    }