----- Original Message ----- From: "Kerry Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Flash Coders List'" <flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com>
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 2:45 AM
Subject: RE: [Flashcoders] books for flash programming

Vlado Krempl wrote:

I'm a designer who is getting more and more interested in programming and
not just actionscript 3.
>From your list above, and in your opinion, which are the "must learn"
programs to learn?
I have been doing alot of reading on PHP, HTML, Javascript and
Actionscript
3.

Of the languages I know, the only one I could recommend for a young
programmer would be C++ (and, of course, ActionScript 3). Even that is
problematic, though--C++ may be an obsolescent language itself.

C++ would be the last language I would recommend (I worked as a freelance database developer using C++ for two years). It has multiple 'gotchas' and as Kerry has said is falling behind rapidly as an in-vogue development language. Ugh. If your interested, the most problems on my project (five developers working on it - not just me!), came from unintended references to temporary objects.

More to the point would be what language would I learn that I don't already
know. PHP would be near the top of the list. If you want to branch out, I
think C# and .NET is the up-and-coming language for the next few
years--actually, make that Visual Basic and C#, both with .NET.

Thre's also quite a buzz around Ruby right now.

Java would be high on my list, too, especially since it is so similar to
AS3. I think there is a future also for Python and some other Web-oriented
languages.

Java is a pretty good choice right now, and as Kerry says a really good fit with Actionscript and avoids many of the problems that C++ has.

What is clear is that, at the moment, Web-oriented development is the growth
field, more so than desktop apps.

Very true.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson