Make sure you set the window mode to opaque OR transparent... not default.
That seems to make a huge difference:

wmode not set:
http://hugo.wddg.com/blogfiles/wmode/wmodedefault.html

wmode set to opaque:
http://hugo.wddg.com/blogfiles/wmode/wmodeopaque.html
--------

Both are using the same swf only difference between the two is the tag as you can see in the source.
Hope this helps, cus it sure has helped me a ton.

Mario Gonzalez.

Cory Petosky wrote:
My buddy and I were playing with some performance benchmarks we wrote
(put 100 bitmaps on the screen by manual blits to a backing
BitmapData). We weren't surprised that it ran stably at 120 FPS in the
Flash IDE. We were alarmed to discover, however, that the same SWF ran
at a mere 80 FPS in the Flash standalone player and was just under 60
FPS when viewed in the browser.

Windows XP, Flash CS3 Professional, IE7.