When porting from AS2, you might find it more direct to use
XMLDocument instead of XML. This behaves exactly like the AS2 XML
object.

Having said that, I tried your code and it seemed to work (I assumed
where you put node.childIndex() it was a typo and you meant to write
_currentPage.childIndex()).

Peter