Thanks! That should get me on my way. This, in combination with the last reply about getting raw ID3, should help me out.
So thanks to both of ya.
ben

Juan Pablo Califano wrote:
Hi, as far as I know, the info you're looking for is not in the ID3 tags
(which are not mandatory by the way).

An mp3 file is a formed by an arbitrary number of "frames", which carry
information about "chunks" of the sound stream; each one contains a header
and the actual audio data. There's no "global" file header, but if you're
looking for the sample rate, I think it's fair to assume that the sample
rate stored in the header of the first frame is the sample rate of the whole
file (that might not be true if you were looking for, say, the bitrate).

So, I think you can get that data if you read the file directly in binary
format, look for the first frame, and read the bits indicating the sample
rate.

A good reference for the format spec:
http://mpgedit.org/mpgedit/mpeg_format/MP3Format.html

And this graphic may help to "visualize" the meaning of each bit in a frame
header:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/Mp3filestructure.svg

By the way, if you want to inspect the raw file, you should use an
hexadecimal editor, you won't get far with a text editor. There are many
available, some of them are free, like Hexplorer, which is what I've been
using for a while.
( you can find it here: http://artemis.wszib.edu.pl/~mdudek/ )

I don't know much about the mp3 format specifically, but I have worked a bit
with raw files, so if you want to give it a try and need some help, maybe I
can lend you a hand.

Cheers
Juan Pablo Califano